Despite the heavily negative reception, it spawned a sequel directed by Micheal Roesch and Peter Scheerer that was released in 2009.
- Christian Slater (Dustyn Arthurs, young) as Edward Carnby
- Tara Reid as Aline Cedrac
- Stephen Dorff as Commander Burke
- Will Sanderson as Agent Miles
- Françoise Yip as Agent Cheung
- Karin Konoval as Sister Clara
- Matthew Walker as Professor Lionel Hudgens
- Mike Dopud as Agent Turner
- Frank C. Turner as Sam Fischer
- Mark Atcheson as Captain Chernick
- Darren Shahlavi as John Dillon
- Ona Grauer as Agent Feenstra
- Ed Anders as James Pinkerton
- Brendan Fletcher as Cab driver
Edward Carnby (Film)- Raised at an orphanage under Sister Clara, Carnby lost his memory when he was ten years old. At twenty, he was recruited by Bureau 713, gaining knowledge on the paranormal soon after. His current assignment is investigating his past along with researching the disappearance of the Abkani. Due to the experiments conducted on him as a child, he has the ability to sense paranormal activity and has increased strength and speed, which allow him to perform acrobatic moves that a normal human could not do.
Aline Cedrac - An archaeologist and museum curator. She is the ex-girlfriend of Edward Carnby and knowledgeable about the Abkani and their culture.
Richard Burke - The Commander of Bureau 713, formerly worked under the direction of Carnby.
Professor Hudgens - Conducted top-secret experiments in Bureau 713, which were shut down after one of the orphaned children escaped—Edward Carnby. Hudgens still works for 713 but now as a science officer. Hudgens is deeply interested in the history of the Abkani, and has gained insight into the "Xenos", nightmare creatures linked to the Abkani's mythos.
Fischer - Fischer leads the medical unit of Bureau 713. He is one of Carnby's few trusted allies and friends.
James Pinkerton - Former Agent of Bureau 713 who went missing in action in the 1980s. He and Hudgens were in charge of the investigation of the disappearance of goldminers at Brutan Goldmine. Pinkerton became an experiment for Hudgens, who attached a Xenos creature to his spine. His abilities included increased awareness, strength, speed and willpower.
Sister Clara - Sister Clara runs an orphanage and one of the orphans under her care was Edward Carnby. In the eighties, she was persuaded by Professor Hudgens to allow experiments on the orphans. She keeps this secret from everyone but is inwardly guilty for her immoral actions.
Game references and similaritiesEdit
- In the film and the games, the lead protagonist is named Edward Carnby.
- Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare mentions Edward Carnby as part of a paranormal agency known as Bureau 713. The film version goes into detail as this is part of the focus of the film.
- Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare and the film both feature creatures that thrive in the darkness, have invisibility and can be harmed by light and electricity.